This last year was perhaps the most rewarding, and certainly the most successful year so far for Thorpe Tennis. I feel fortunate to continue working with players and teams across the Santa Barbara area and particularly to impact the lives of our young students.
A few highlights from the year at Thorpe Tennis:
- Worked with 33 different players from age 7 to 54.
- Spent over 1,000 hours on-court teaching lessons and coaching high school matches.
- Coached Laguna Blanca Boys’ Tennis to a 13-2 record, their first Condor League title and playoff appearance in 9 years, the #9-seed in CIF Division 4, and a second round showing in CIF playoffs.
- Led Cate School Girls’ Tennis to another CIF playoff appearance, where they won two rounds to reach the quarterfinals.
- Helped 7th-grader Daniel Newton go from unranked to top-100 in California and #652 in the country in his class.
- Helped Senior Ben Furukawa achieve a new high ranking in his class of #167 in California, as well as a second CIF Individuals appearance in singles.
- Coached Michael Revord to third-place in the Condor League individuals tournament and helped him achieve All-Santa Barbara Second Team status thanks to strong doubles performances in CIF playoffs.
- Coached Seniors Eddie Conk and Benji Sorensen to the Condor League doubles title and another CIF Individuals appearance in doubles.
- Coached Julia Gan to the Condor League singles title and her first CIF Individuals appearance.
- Helped McKenna Madden make her second appearance in singles CIF Individuals, along with a nice tournament win over a top-100 California player.
It will be a difficult year to top, but 2014 is already looking like a winner!